I'm a Pundit Too

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Can Ron Paul Win a 'Scientific' Poll, or Just the Online Polls?

Much has been said online, places like digg and prisonplanet, that Ron Paul is destroying the other candidates in the polls. Interestingly, he only seems to be winning the online polls.

LGF has the story about Prisonplanet's piece claiming that there is no way to fake online polling because they register your IP address. Really guys? This is from one of the websites that claims Bush orchestrated 9-11. Bush managed to cover up 9-11, but Ron Paul supporters can't download one of the thousands of IP programs that allow you to use one of the many proxy servers that are connected to hide your IP address? I'm not buying it kids. Now, I'm only guessing here about those proxy programs of course, I don't have one on my computer. Well, not at the moment. And if you ask me if I have ever had one, I will plead the 5th, being a strict Constitutionalist and all.

Real Clear Politics has run the numbers, and it shows Giuliani to be on top of the polls right now. This is from a combination of a large number of telephone polls from different organizations. If Ron Paul is the clear winner in both debates, why is he only at about 1% in the polls right now? And before you start on the conspiracy theories, allow me to give you one of my own. The conspiracy lies with those who support Ron Paul. You are going online and voting multiple times for him, and if need be, using easy access to proxy servers to hide your IP address. Either my theory is right, or none of you people own telephones. I will be the first to say that I am not a big fan of poll numbers, but how do you explain the huge discrepancy? The best number I have seen yet for Ron Paul in any non-online poll is 3%.

I know that you have a theory to retort. I know you will spout off that Ron Paul is being left out of the polls on purpose, or some other nonsense. But here's the deal. Conspiracy theories are not going to get Ron Paul into the White House. Conspiracy theories aren't going to help our country. Conspiracy theories just make the rest of us think that you are all nuts. I happen to agree with Paul on many things regarding using the Constitution as the litmus test. I love the Constitution and spent 5 years under oath to defend it. I would still pick up a gun to defend it if need be. I absolutely love the fact that lobbyists stay far and away from Paul's office, knowing that he will shoot them down. We need more of that attitude in D.C. I disagree with his stance on isolationism because we exist in a day and age where technology keeps us too tightly knit. But that is a completely different piece that I am not getting into at the moment. The issue I am bringing up here is that people see through this internet escapade. Those who don’t see through it are the ones who don't use the internet that much, so they only see the media polls. This means Ron Paul gets nowhere near the White House. This means you are all wasting your time promoting yet another ridiculous conspiracy that needs to be put down. Do something constructive like supporting border security.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • Do you know where I can download a program that lets me vote multiple times in the Fox News text message poll from the same phone? I can't seem to find one.

    Yeah, there really are that many Paul supporters. They aren't cheating in any way. They just care enough to make sure they vote in every poll they can.

    By Blogger Unknown, At May 17, 2007 at 2:06 AM  

  • I know it's absurd to assert that Ron Paul is ahead in any meaningful way. The only thing I think that his online poll numbers show is that his people are more excited about his campaign than any of the other candidates people.

    Bill @
    voteronpaul.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Bill, At May 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM  

  • Maybe Paul's supporters don't bother getting their news from traditional gatekeepers. Maybe they don't respond to traditional polls. Maybe the mainstream news outlets are becoming obsolete.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM  

  • Only 1 vote per proxy server right? So there are as many proxy servers as voters?
    The polls are rigged? You are the one with the conspiracy theory idiot.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM  

  • Well, In fact,

    *I* am just one person (registered Republican) who only votes in each poll once. True I visit many different polls; I am a very dedicated volunteer.

    And I don't have a regular phone. Like many digirati, I use a VOIP and a cell phone.

    Niether of which is going to be called in a so-called "random sample".

    Many polls are drawn from specific calling lists (for just one example, the Mpls Star-Tribune only calls subscribers) which creates a noticeable bias in their results.

    Many times a low-ranked candidate isn't even included. And what does a poll measure anyway? Name recognition only. When is being a media ... um .... Hound! qualification to be President?

    Finally, we don't know what the polls are saying right now, because the latest "Scientific" one is from before the debates. It only runs until May 13th. Time will tell.

    PS Anyone wishing to verify my identity and party registration status may call my "sel fone" (six-oh-five) four-two-one 0306 and then call the McCook County (SD) Auditor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 17, 2007 at 12:35 PM  

  • Sometimes, even the paranoid have people after them.

    By Blogger Godwhacker, At May 19, 2007 at 5:15 PM  

  • I'm a Paul supporter, but I know the traditional polls are far more accurate than online polls. But that doesn't mean Paul supporters are cheating -- just that he has a big, enthusiastic bunch of fans very active on the Internet, while much less support among a random sample of people.

    By Blogger Unknown, At May 20, 2007 at 2:28 AM  

  • Sounds like the author of the article has his own conspiracy theory about an army of Ron Paul supporters who hack all internet polls and have elaborate text messaging schemes to win every poll. Give me a break. There are a lot of people including myself who recently discovered Ron Paul and are excited about his message. How can Ron Paul gain more ground in a “scientific poll” where he is listed as other?

    The GOP has become a sad party and will get trounced in the next election without someone like Dr Paul. They have exclude the majority of the Americans who oppose the war, excluded gays, excluded blacks, excluded pro choice vote, excluded immigrants and people who speak a foreign language. Who else is left?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 26, 2007 at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home